‘Wolves lose in overtime in WCHA semi-finals

March 21, 2014

The University of Alaska Anchorage traveled to Grand Rapids, Michigan to play Ferris State University in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association semi-finals. For just the fourth time in UAA history the Seawolves advanced to the WCHA semi-finals and were on the losing end against the Bulldogs. FSU took an early two-goal lead with two unanswered goals in the first period.

The Seawolves scored a goal at 8:54 of the first period, when UAA’s Brett Cameron, Junior, found the back of the net for a goal. The first period ended with UAA trailing FSU by a score of 2-1.

The second period the Seawolves scored three unanswered goals, with the first goal of the second period scored by Seawolf Austin Coldwell, Junior, the scored at 7:16 of the second period tied the game at two goals apiece. UAA’s Zack Rassell, Freshman, gave the Seawolves the lead with a goal scored at 8:56 of the second period and UAA leading with a score of 3-2.

Seawolf Hudson Friesen, Freshman, scored a goal 11:22 of the second period giving UAA a 4-2 lead. The Bulldogs scored a goal at 11:52 of the second period this brought the score to UAA 4 FSU 3. FSU tied the game at 15:29 of the second period and the second period ended with UAA and FSU tied at four goals apiece. The third period started and ended with both teams still tied at four goals.

At 2:38 into the overtime FSU scored the game-winning goal giving FSU the victory 5-4 over UAA. Ferris State University moved on to the WCHA finals against Minnesota State.

UAA’s head hockey coach Matt Thomas said after the game, “I couldn’t be any more proud of our team for the way we came out and competed against the number three team in the nation and the number one team in our conference (the WCHA). I don’t want to take anything away from Ferris State because they played a heck of a game, too. I thought we played well enough to win the hockey game but that’s what happens in overtime.”

- Advertisement -

Thomas went on to add, “The right time of year we were a very good team. It’s just unfortunate that it ends here tonight for us here tonight. As much as it stings, moving forward time will heal and we will be able to reflect on what was a very positive season and a well played season.”

Matt Bailey, Senior, asked if he had any comments for the fans back in Anchorage, replied, “It was awesome, we really appreciate all the support we get and it was a really tremendous season for our program. We have some very loyal fans that are very close in our hearts. Speaking as a senior that has been here for four years, I am very grateful for a lot of the boosters and Alumni that have treated me so over my four years and its something I will never forget.”