Seawolf split

The UAA Seawolves salvaged a split Oct. 29-30 with the Michigan Tech Huskies.

They can thank their goalies.

In the two games against the Huskies, UAA goalies John DeCaro and Nathan Lawson were barraged with shots on goal. Lawson stopped a career best 41 of 46 attempts Friday night and DeCaro kicked aside 39 of 43 attempts Saturday.

In the first game at the MacInnes Student Ice Arena in Houghton, Mich., the Seawolves were pounded 5-1. They fared much better Saturday by holding off the Huskies for a 5-4 win and a series split in their first two games in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association.

The Huskies (1-5-0, 1-5-0 WCHA) controlled Friday’s game from start to finish. The Seawolves (3-2-1, 1-1-0, WCHA) couldn’t get the puck out of their own zone, allowing Tech to put the puck in the back of the net all night long.

Seawolf Ales Parez tallied his first goal of the season on a power play one-timer from linemates Chris Tarkir and Bret Arcand-Kootenay. Later in the second period, John Scott of Michigan Tech would put the win in the bag on a goal assisted by Tyler Shelast and Brandon Schwartz.

The frustration would overcome the Seawolves, as the third period became a rough one. Forward Justin Johnson exited the ice early when he received a game disqualification for getting in a fight with Scott. The two players would miss Saturday night’s game as a result as well.

- Advertisement -

“Tonight we just didn’t have the edge that you need to win on the road in the WCHA,” assistant coach Keith Morris told KENI radio after the loss.

Saturday was a different story. Highlighting the night was sophomore Arcand-Kootenay’s first two goals of the season. He was playing in his first series of the year, as a result of his broken jaw suffered in a preseason altercation with teammate Lee Green.

The Seawolves were able to get the puck out of their own zone more often Friday night, producing better scoring opportunities in the Huskies zone.

Arcand-Kootenay scored the game winner early in the third period on a centering pass from behind the net from Parez. Freshman standou Tarkir also tallied his third goal of the season on a power play earlier in the game, and freshman Peter Cartwright added his first career goal in the green and gold.

“We needed to do the small things a bit better and we did that (on Saturday night),” Morris said. “We are pleased with getting the two points on the road, as tough as it is to get them on the road in a conference with the toughness of the WCHA.”

UAA returns home to the Sullivan Arena this Friday and Saturday, Nov. 6 and 7, to face WCHA-leading Minnesota Duluth.