The Northern Light had the opportunity to sit down with sex and relationship advice columnist Dan Savage on Thursday Feb. 11 before his lecture later that evening in the Wendy Williamson Auditorium that was sponsored by Student Activities. Savage has been an advice columnist for the past 25 years. Savage said the Savage Love column began when his friend who ran a paper thought it would be funny to have a sex column where a gay guy answered straight people’s sex questions, since it was common for straight people to give, solicited or not, advice to gay people about their sex lives. Savage has come a long way since then, and Savage Love is anything but a joke as the longest running sex advice column of all time. Here’s what The Northern Light learned talking to Savage.
- Savage told us the most awkward questions he gets are about medical issues. Don’t take a picture of your sores and send them to Dan Savage, go to the doctor. Savage knows a lot, but he’s not a doctor.
- Don’t talk about rimming when he’s with his seven year old son at 8 a.m. at the airport. Savage said he once had a fan come up to him when he was with his son, whom was seven-years-old at the time, and, without hesitation, the fan asked him about rimming.
- If you want to have Savage answer your questions, email him on Thursday or Friday to increase your chances. He has hundreds of thousands of unread emails, but writes the Savage Love column on Thursday or Friday and is most likely to read emails that are at the top of his inbox.
- Don’t get sad if Savage doesn’t email you back. Savage is a busy man and has an email inbox that would make any person go crazy, with a quarter of a million unread messages.
- Dan Savage doesn’t know everything. Over the 25 years of writing, his opinions have changed. For example, Savage used to have a vague understanding of asexuality, but now recognizes it as a real sexual preference, or lack thereof. Savage said he’s always learning new things and that he’s not some omniscient all knowing being.
If you would like to reach Savage for advice, email firstname.lastname@example.org.