Jobs at The Northern Light are open to current UAA students taking six or more credits.
All positions require a 2.0 GPA, are part-time, and available for all semesters.
To apply for a position go to uakjobs.com and search for the job title. All applications are responded to within one week. As of February 1 , we are looking for a:
- Advertising Representative
- Staff Reporter
- Staff Photographer
- Contract Reporters
- Contract Photographer
- Show us an example of your work. This can be anything: a blog post, a short essay, etc. Submit this to the managing editor and wait for comments.
- After hearing back from the managing editor, if you already have a piece that fits the comments given in the email, submit that. If not, pitch a new story to the managing editor, or ask to be assigned a story. The second piece must relate to the section you’re interested in: news, features, sports, arts, or opinion.
- The final piece must be published in TNL, online or in print. This story must be pitched to and approved by the managing editor. The pitch for this story should be sent with step 2, and originate from the reporter.
After you’ve completed these steps in sequential order, you will hear back from the managing editor with a proposal for contract writing or a request to see more work/published materials.
Contract photography, graphics, and multimedia
Like contract writers, contributors in this category get on contract by following the steps below. TNL pays $15 per published photograph or graphic, $10 for the raw recording of an events, and $25 for photo slide shows.
1. Submit a digital copy of your work to the managing editor. We prefer to see images of people, and judge the photo or video only on technical grounds.
2. After reviewing your work, the managing editor will assign you an article to work on.
3. The final piece must be published in TNL, the online or print version. This image or video must be pitched to and approved by the managing editor. At this point the managing editor will give little guidance, and will ask the contributor to illustrate one of several stories.
The Northern Light is completely produced by students and we’re always looking for more volunteers to represent the many unique viewpoints at UAA. We are looking for those interested in
- graphic design
Volunteering is easy– just contact the managing editor and ask to be assigned a story for the section you plan to work in. You can also pitch your own story or art. To keep in contact with you, we ask that you fill out this form and bring it in to the Northern Light office located downstairs in the Student Union, Room 113. You can also fill it out online here.
For more information on other current job openings or just have any questions, contact Matt Caprioli at email@example.com