UAA junior guard Haley Holmstead seems to have this whole scoring thing down pretty well.
A two-time Scenic West Athletic Conference Player of the Year at Salt Lake Community College, Holmstead was billed as one of the premier offensive threats in the national community college ranks. Since transferring up to the Division II level at UAA, she hasn’t missed a beat and seems to be settling in nicely in her customary role.
“I love it up here and I’m surrounded by great coaches and great players,” Holmstead said, the 2009 Utah Gatorade High School Player of the Year. “This is a great opportunity for me.”
Starting in all 20 games she has played in so far this season, Holmstead has had five games in which she has scored 20 or more points for the Seawolves. Her season-high of 27 points came on Jan. 7 against the rival Seattle Pacific Falcons in a 82-59 win for the Seawolves.
Despite her team-leading 14.9 points per game thus far on the season, Holmstead will be the first to tell you she is focused on getting better on the other end of the court.
“My role on this and past teams has always been to score, but there is a lot of room for improvement for me on the defensive side of the ball,” Holmstead said. “The coaches have been helping me with staying in stance, containing my player and rebounding.”
A more dangerous defensive Holmstead can only make opponents that much more frustrated as this American Fork, Utah native continues to shine at UAA.
Getting to know Haley Holmstead
Most memorable moment in your basketball career?
– Winning the state championship back in high school with American Fork (Utah).
I’m a basketball player, but I’m even better at…?
– I’ll say tennis on the Nintendo Wii
– Anything cooked by my mom
Favorite TV show?
– I have so many but I’ll go with the Vampire Diaries
What songs are you listening to on the iPod lately?
– Domino by Jesse J, Emotions by Mariah Carey, My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion and Always Be My Baby by Mariah Carey
Guilty pleasure in life?
– I love Dr. Pepper. If I could, I’d have it hooked up to an IV and have it pumping through my veins.
– I have a bunch. I go through the same routine every game day, wear the same thing every game day. I always put my right shoe on before my left. I have to listen to the same two songs before every game.
When I’m not on the court, I’m…?
– Probably watching Vampire Diaries again
– I really liked Larry Bird. He was a great person on and off the court and held himself well, plus he was a pretty good player.
– Brad Pitt, he’s a babe
Favorite sport to play other than basketball?
– I’ll go with Golf, love to play golf when I can.
And to watch?
– Basketball, of course.