Man allegedly held against will at hospital

Bret Bohn. Photo of Bret courtesy of Bohn Family
Bret Bohn. Photo of Bret courtesy of Bohn Family

Family of UAA graduate say he is unwillingly admitted to Providence.

Family and friends of former UAA Aviation and Technology graduate Bret Bohn say he is being held against his will and forcibly medicated at Providence Alaska Medical Center. According to Bohn’s family, hospital officials are planning to transfer him to Johns Hopkins Medical Research Facility in Baltimore, Md., against his will.

Bohn, a hunting and fishing guide, developed sleeping problems while hunting in late September through early October. Upon his return home, Bohn told his parents he had not slept in several days, so they took him to the emergency room at Providence Hospital. There, Bohn was examined and released with a prescription for the drug prednisone.

Still sleepless, Bohn decided to remain in Anchorage, despite a scheduled hunt in Kodiak Oct. 13.

Shortly after his initial hospital visit, Bohn experienced a seizure. He was taken back to the Providence emergency room, where he was admitted. By this time, Bohn had not slept for 11 days, and he experienced three more seizures in the hospital.

Though Bohn was still experiencing complications, he was slated for release Oct. 23. But when family and friends went to pick him up that day, they were told he needed to remain in the hospital’s care.

Doctors informed Bohn’s parents Dec. 23 that they believed he had a rare form of encephalitis, and he needed to be transferred to a facility that could better treat him.

- Advertisement -

According to Bohn’s family, hospital officials said they wanted to transfer him to Johns Hopkins Research Facility because Bohn does not have insurance, and the research facility is the only place that accepted his case.

Several of Bohn’s family members were allowed a short visit on Christmas Day, but visitation has since been denied.

Bohn’s family alleges that Providence went to court and stripped them of their power of attorney and guardianship rights without their knowledge.

Bohn and his family have repeatedly asked for a transfer to another local hospital for a second opinion, but hospital officials have also declined this request.

Bret Bohn is not listed in the Providence Alaska Medical Center directory.

Bohn’s mother, Lorraine Phillips, says the family has hired a lawyer to fight for Bohn’s rights.

“We are still continuing to fight for Bret as he remains captive in Providence Hospital in Anchorage, and it’s almost 90 days. Today (Jan. 12) is his birthday, although that’s not a big concern because we have not seen him since Dec. 25. He is being held in isolation at Providence Hospital, and we continue this fight to get him out through the judicial system. Bret is an adult who has had his rights stripped away.”

Bohn’s family and friends attended a court hearing Jan. 6. Providence Alaska Medical Center attorneys were also present at the hearing.

Phillips says her son has no confirmed diagnosis, and all of the tests for suspected conditions have come back negative.

Phillips also says only one close friend has seen Bohn since Dec. 25, and that visit only lasted a few seconds. Phillips also stated that Providence is still planning on transferring Bohn to Maryland.

Bohn’s friend Koreen Lamoreux said, “Today (Jan. 12) is Bret’s birthday, and no one gets to see him. He missed Thanksgiving, and no one got to see him. He missed Christmas, and no one got to see him. And now it’s his birthday, and no one gets to see him. I don’t see how anyone who has his best interest at heart can deny him visitation and leave him solitary.”

Bohn was born and raised in Alaska and graduated from West High School with honors. He has two degrees from the University of Alaska Anchorage. Before being admitted into the hospital, Bohn worked as a hunting and fishing guide. During the Christmas Day visit, Bohn’s father stated his son said he would just like a breath of fresh air and a good night’s sleep.


Comments are closed.