Level up your ramen game
Ramen, a staple college food, is known for it’s cheap price and hunger-satisifying qualities. Chicken and beef broth noodle soup can get old fast. With a few extra ingredients you can enjoy your instant noodles in a whole new way.
Pad Thai ramen
Give your ramen a Southeast Asian spin with this pad Thai recipe.
– 1 package of ramen noodles
– A few peeled, cleaned shrimp
– 1 egg
-1/2 ramen seasoning packet
– A few squirts of fish sauce
-Juice of 1 lime
-1 Tablespoon peanuts
-1 Tablespoon of scallions
-a small handful of bean sprouts
1. In a large pot of boiling water, cook the ramen noodles according to the package. Add in the shrimp, and cook until pink. Pull off the heat once both noodles and shrimp are done.
2. Crack an egg and lightly beat it in a small bowl. Pour it into the bowling water.
3. Pour everything in the pot into a strainer to drain and transfer everything to a large bowl.
4. To the noodle mixture, add half the seasoning packet, fish sauce, lime juice, crushed peanuts, scallions and bean sprouts.
It sounds odd, but when the ramen comes out of the oven, a crunchy layer graces the top of the pie. The ramen noodle consistency we all know and love sits under the crunchy layer and works well with the savory flavors.
– 1 package cooked ramen noodles
– 1/2 pound of ground beef
– 1/2 cup chopped onion
– 1/2 ramen seasoning packet
– 2 tablespoons of water
– 1/2 cup of frozen peas
– 1/2 cup of corn
– salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, add the beef, onion, ramen seasoning and water. Saute until beef is thoroughly cooked.
2. Add in frozen peas, corn and salt and pepper.
3. Mix together and then transfer to a pie plate or a cast iron skillet. Top with cooked ramen noodles
4. Place the dish in the oven and broil until ramen is brown and crispy on top.
A unique take on the instant noodle, this recipe is packed with a spicy kick.
-1 packet ramen noodles
– Beef ramen flavor packet
– 1 can of diced tomatoes
– 1/2 cup water
– 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
– 1 chicken breast
– 1/2 cup corn
– 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
– 1/4 cup cilantro
1. In a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook the ramen noodles and the beef seasoning packet. Cook noodles until they are soft
2. Add tomatoes. Once noodles are ready, serve into a bowl.
3. Heat corn in a separate small bowl in the microwave for about 1 minute.Sprinkle over ramen.
4. In a skillet, cook the chicken in some olive oil. Once chicken is cooked, shred and set on top of ramen bowl.
5. Top each bowl with cheese and cilantro.
Ramen cacio e pepe
Inspired by chef David Chang, this recipe is a simple and nontraditional Cacio e Pepe, meaning “cheese and pepper.”
– 2 packages instant ramen
– 3 tablespoons butter
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1 cup Pecorino Romano
– 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
– Fresh ground pepper
1) Heat a pot of water. Next, add butter, olive oil and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then let simmer.
3) Add the cheese. While stirring, quickly add the ramen.
4) Mix until the noodles are soft and done.
5) Serve with more pepper to taste.