A popular dish in the Philippines, this egg roll-type dish makes a great appetizer and is best served with spicy sweet chili sauce.
My friend Jon learned this recipe from his step-dad who grew up in the Philippines.
Egg roll wrappers
1 pound of ground pork
4 green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons of garlic powder
Pepper to taste
1. In a bowl, mix together the pork, onions, garlic and pepper.
2. Lay your egg roll wrappers flat. Take a small handful of the meat filling and spread it out in an even line across the bottom portion of the egg roll wrapper.
3. Roll the wrapper over the meat, keeping the roll tight. Once you reach the top of the wrapper, dab some water onto the edge to create an adhesive.
4. Once you have rolled out all of your lumpia, place them in the freezer to chill. Let them chill for roughly thirty minutes.
5. Once they have been chilled, cut them in half to make cooking easier.
6. In a pan of heated sesame or olive oil, fry the lumpia until golden-dark brown.
7. Serve hot with sweet chili sauce.