Nothing says summer like the fresh taste of lemon and citrus. For a refreshing summer cake, try this zesty and moist lemon cake. This recipe has been passed down to my grandmother from her mother and is a family favorite. My family can look forward to eating lemon cake at almost any family birthday party. Feel free to add more lemon if you prefer a more tart flavor. For an alternative, you can try lime cake, replacing lemons with limes and lemon gelatin dessert with lime.
1 package of lemon cake mix — I used Betty Crocker brand.
1 3 oz. package of lemon gelatin dessert, such as Jell-O brand.
¾ cups of vegetable oil
¾ cups of water
2 cups of powdered sugar
Zest and juice of 2 lemons
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients — except the powdered sugar, lemon zest and juice — and beat with a stand mixer until thoroughly combined, about four minutes.
3. Mix together powdered sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice in a bowl until smooth. Set aside.
4. Place cake batter in a greased cake pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
5. Remove from oven. Using a fork, punch holes throughout the cake, and pour lemon icing all over the cake.