It’s that time of the year again. Take a break from the cupcakes, cookies and candy. These tasty and healthy salads will keep your energy up to get you through the last half of the semester.
Strawberry spinach salad
6 cups of baby spinach
1 pint of strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
Half a small red onion, thinly sliced
Poppyseed dressing, to taste
- In a large bowl, add the spinach, strawberries, avocado, cheese and onion. Toss it together.
- Add the poppy seed dressing to the mix and continue tossing together until the dressing has been incorporated.
Vietnamese noodle salad
12 ounces of vermicelli noodles
2 carrots, shredded
2 cucumbers, seeded and shredded
4 green onions, chopped
1 and 1/2 cups bean sprouts
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup fish sauce
1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Lime for garnish
- Cook the noodles according to the package . Rinse the noodles under cold water, drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the carrots, cucumbers, bean sprouts and chopped cilantro. Toss until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the fish sauce, rice vinegar, garlic and crushed red pepper.
- Toss the dressing with the noodles to coat. Combine the noodles and the vegetables together in the large bowl until combined. Top with a squeeze of lime juice, if desired.
1/2 pound arugula
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
Zest of a whole lemon
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine arugula, tomatoes, lemon zest, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and black pepper. Toss the ingredients together until well combined.