Sometimes a blue box of cheesy macaroni doesn’t quite cut the craving for a warm, home-cooked meal. This recipe still only uses one pot, but adds some veggies, chicken and real cheese to boost the nutritional value. Invite some friends to share, or rejoice in the joy of leftovers the next day.
- 8 ounces of pasta, medium shells or farfalle
- 3 cups of broccoli, cut in pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound of chicken breast, cut in 1-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, cheddar or four-cheese blend
- Cook pasta according to box directions in a large pot. In last two minutes of cooking, add broccoli.
- Strain pasta and broccoli, and set aside.
- Heat pot to medium-high heat and add olive oil. Wait until it shimmers, about a minute.
- Add chicken to heated oil, and season with salt and pepper. Cook until chicken is brown and cooked through. Cooked chicken should not be pink, and reach a temperature of 165 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, flour, chicken broth, garlic and chili powder. Stir in with chicken.
- When the mixture thickens, add the pasta and broccoli back to the pot, along with the shredded cheese. Stir until cheese melts, and allow to set off of heat for 2 minutes before serving.